Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Taking advantage of my time with little man!


 HELLO DARLINGS!!!!



Well, I am definitely taking advantage of my "time off"!! Little man and I have been BUSY!! Well, me more than him! Since last Tuesday we I have been busy!! I have started a few crafts through out the week!! I was browsing Pinterest♥ and found a picture of a lamp shade that used coffee filters to make a super cute lamp shade!! here are a few pictures of my lamp shade before I ran out of coffee filters and energy. I ended up getting sucked into this at like midnight and didn't go to be till around one AM. 
This is the lamp before
I had already started applying the filters when I thought about  posting  about this....oops!



The first row done!

I can NOT wait to see my finally product
( This is not how I ended it at 1am... I had more than half done..but I forgot to take a picture before bed >-<)

 Little man has been obsessed  with play-dough. I have been searching high and low for a great deal on play-dough. Who would have though play-dough would cost like $7 for 5 little jars!! I decided I WE would make my own!!!

If  your feeling crafty and are looking for something fun to do with your little one... HERE it is!! (I would recommend doing this with a child who is 2 or older)
What you will need:




 
1 1/2 cups of flour

3/4  of  a cup of  salt


1 tbs of  Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 cups of  water 

1/2 tbs of  cream of  tartar


Now the I went to Walmart and got everything I needed for around $10. I know your thinking.."UH...if play dough cost about $7 for 4 containers for play-dough why didn't you just buy it??"
Because I spend $10 on making my own.. I still have enough of the ingredients left to make this about 20 more times... which is way more than I would have gotten for $7!! The ingredient I had the hardest time finding was the Cream of tartar. FYI, this will most likely be found in the aisle with the spices. It is a white powder. It is also what i spent the most money on($4.88 at my local Walmart. I could not find it in the Walmart brand.)
Here is what you do:



For your viewing pleasure.... Little man combining all the ingredients:












 Such a cutie even with his Boo boo :(






 This is what all the ingredients should look like after they are combined and stirred.
Learn from my mistake... Use an all wood spoon. Once the mixture starts to look less like a batter and starts to form into dough...Your silicon spoon will be no match for it.
Mix all of the ingredients into a saucepan. Add whatever food coloring your little one wants!! - Children can help with the above steps (pouring and mixing ingredients.) The next step I would recommend you not have them help because A) You will be using the stove and B) The mixture will start to thicken and you will need to use some arm muscle to stir it!
Set your stove top to low and stir the mixture until it starts to form a dough (5-8 minutes), remove the pan from the heat. Lay out some wax paper and spoon the play dough onto the wax paper. make sure that you check the dough for heat - you don't want to burn yourself!
Once the dough has been kneaded into a nice texture, place in an airtight container or zip lock bag... Of course after your little one plays with it!! Give them some cookie cutters and they are set. Do not let your husband play with it and make it into a ball and teach your little one to throw it like a ball. It will hurt when that ball comes into contact with you. WOMP.

So there you go!! 

Next on the list(In no particular order):
  • CAKE BALLSSS!!!(WHO DOESN'T LOVE CAKE BALLS!?!?)
  • Halloween pictures(which prolly should have been before the post... But I break rules!)
  • Goodwill find
  • A day in the life of Little man (This should be interesting.. He is going through a "NO PICTURES MOMMY!" phase. hah)


Until next time,

1 comment:

  1. So FUN! I can't wait to have kids so that I can cook with them :) I remember "helping" my parents cook too. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete